As a result of partisan gerrymandering, Democratic voters are often forced into districts where their electoral power is limited. Turn PA Blue seeks to engage and mobilize hundreds and even thousands of newly energized volunteers across district lines to provide the support necessary to help Democratic candidates win elections and flip seats where our efforts can make the most impact. We accomplish this through volunteer recruitment and engagement, social media, strategic event planning and by partnering with existing organizations, the Democratic Party and the campaigns themselves.
Our efforts are primarily focused on supporting state legislative campaigns in Southeastern Pennsylvania, including Montgomery, Delaware, Bucks, Chester and Philadelphia Counties. This region represents the best prospects for Democratic victories in the state House and state Senate. Turn PA Blue is now able to make connections, help direct and recruit volunteers and provide some support to candidates all across the state.
Turn PA Blue is committed to harnessing the power and energy of committed volunteers to help elect Democrats up and down the ballot in 2020. The grassroots energy enhanced by Turn PA Blue has the ability to drive turnout and energy upward to help Democrats running across the state at all levels. Our goal is also to integrate the inclusion of new voices into the Democratic Party on all levels, with particular emphasis on strengthening the local parties whose infrastructure is vital to the growth and efficacy of the Democratic Party will also serve to “build our bench” for future candidate recruitment.
Our Track Record of Success
In our short span of existence, Turn PA Blue already has a track record of success. We have developed strong relationships throughout the region and serve as a bridge between the existing structure of the Democratic Party and the thousands of new volunteer voices that have emerged through the Resistance Movement. In doing so, we have facilitated volunteer-building field programs in both Montgomery and Delaware County, PA that helped lead to historic victories in 2017.
- In 2017, In Delaware County, we were able to provide county and municipal candidates with over 150 new volunteers for canvassing, phone banking, and Election Day poll greeting and election protection. In addition to the countywide victories, Turn PA Blue was specifically instrumental in building capacity and helping to drive voter turnout in Upper Darby Township which led to Democratic control of the Upper Darby School District—the seventh largest in the Commonwealth—for the first time in history
- Jamie Perrapato, Executive Director of Turn PA Blue was also selected to be one of the speakers at the Philadelphia Women’s March, in January 2018, and spoke to the crowd of over 50,000 about the importance of electing women to public office Turn PA Blue’s plans for 2018.
- ON January 11, 2018, TPAB, co-hosted a rally with U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, Progressive Leader and Deputy Chair of the DNC. The speakers recognized the importance of the grassroots efforts in 2018. The specific call to action from this event was the launch of the PA Dem’s virtual phone bank program/social media plan for the March special elections in PA-18 which resulted in the history victory of Conor Lamb.
- On January 17, 2018, TPAB hosted a Petition Training Event for Volunteers, which featured Governor Wolf. The Governor kicked off the 2018 campaign season by addressing the TPAB volunteers, thanking them for their hard work and calling them to action in 2018. Following the Governor’s speech, a team of experts conducted an extensive petition training event for candidates and volunteers.
- In March 2018, TPAB put together a solid team of volunteers to help the PA House Democratic Committee (HDCC) wade through the Dept. of State candidate petition filings and count signatures. According to the HDCC, because of these efforts, Dems are in a stronger position than ever before to protect Democrats on the ballot and fight the GOP!. Enthusiasm for this project was greater than the need and TPAB is working on innovative ways to deploy these dedicated volunteers, who we call the Turn PA Blue Tech Team